Saturday, April 10, 2010

In Response to Sarah's Post...


Have u experienced all of these steps before? Have you had any cognitive dissonance? If so what was it and what did you do, did you keep the product, give it to a friend, or return it?

I have experienced all of the steps in the buying decision process. Whenever I buy anything I usually subconsciously go through the five buying decision stages. For example I use this process when I go to the grocery store. An example I recently ran into was when the grocery store was out of my typical brand of bread and needed to buy another brand. The first step was already completed after my problem occurred, where the usual bread was out of stock. In step two, my information search kicked in immediately. The first thing I thought of was the difference in the other brands that I had used in the past. Step three occurred right away also, comparing the different brands and prices. Step four occurred when I purchased the store brand bread. In step five, I evaluated the bread after I had eating this specific type for the first time. Personally I wouldn't buy the store brand again. It wasn't terrible, just not something I would buy on a regular basis. I have also experienced cognitive dissonance. When I was at best buy I saw a pair of headphones that I really liked. I also needed headphones, so I made an impulse decision to buy the headphones. The headphones worked great and I didn't regret buying them until I went to Walmart. Walmart had the same exact set of headphones for much cheaper than best buy. I regretted not shopping around for the cheapest ones rather than making the impulse decision. Do you think it's more important to shop around for the cheapest price rather than buy on impulse?

No comments:

Post a Comment